CPD (Continuing Professional Development) in Workplace Safety
Developed by practitioners for practitioners, TÜV Rheinland Risktec CPDs in Risk and Safety Management are designed to help risk and safety professionals certify their skills and prove their commitment to the industry.
The course is delivered entirely by distance learning, giving learners the opportunity to study part-time and to plan their study around their professional and personal commitments. Risktec offers a choice of 23 different CPD topics, and each course lasts 8 weeks.
Course format & materials
Enrolment on the course gives students access to the Risktec Online learning environment. The course material includes slides, explanatory notes, videos and references to further reading and useful websites. Students engage in online activities including optional tests to confirm their understanding.
The learning outcomes of the Workplace Safety CPD course are:
1. Apply appropriate techniques to develop a documented workplace safety assessment
2. Consider alternative approaches to workplace safety management
3. Apply the concept of tolerability of risk and As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) to workplace hazard management
The course consists of the following topics:
Drivers for continuous improvement in workplace safety:
- Incident rates
- Attitudes to risk and perception of risk
- Control of workplace hazards: safe systems of work
Task risk assessment/job safety analysis:
- Risk ranking and ALARP assessment for workplace activities
- Risk assessment process & hazard checklist
- Hierarchy of controls
- Toolbox talks
Permit to work systems:
- Safe isolation of hazardous equipment
Behavioural safety systems, e.g. STOP:
- Company-specific rules of safety
- Material safety data sheets
- Dangerous goods transportation
Personal protective equipment:
- General, work at height, work with chemicals, etc.
Hazardous area classification:
- Zone ratings
- Methods of hazardous area classification
End of course assessment
The assessment consists of 2 parts:
Part 1: a short multiple choice quiz containing 10 questions, worth 25% of your final mark
Part 2: three questions each requiring a short paragraph answer, with each answer contributing 25% to your final mark. Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will receive a TÜV Rheinland Risktec CPD Certificate of Assessment for this course. If you do not pass, you will receive a TÜV Rheinland Risktec CPD Certificate of Attendance.
The pass mark is 50%.
Other training formats
The course is also available as a private, customisable course for corporate clients (face-to-face, distance learning or blended learning).