This module will be of interest to experienced practitioners who work with patients with skin conditions, helping them to make informed choices about therapeutic treatment options. Both practitioners, who are independent prescribers and those not yet prescribing independently, will find this module of value. It provides management guidance for common dermatological disease as well as specialist pharmaceutical knowledge of the systemic and topical drug and non-drug interventions used to treat skin disease and wounds. It will focus on patient empowerment so individuals can learn how to self manage skin conditions by maximising effective use of prescribed and non-prescribed treatments. It will be of particular interest for pharmacists who encounter common skin conditions in their day to day practice.
Students will study a selection of topics such as:
- Assessment management of common skin conditions e.g. acne, rosacea eczema, psoriasis, skin infections (bacterial, viral, fungal), wound management, drug rashes, urticaria, pruritus, infestations, disorders of hair and nails.
- The range of systemic topical drugs and non drug interventions for skin conditions including: vehicles, emollients, topical steroids, antihistamines, sunscreens, shampoos, anti-infective / antimicrobial agents, wound dressings.
- Specialist drug treatments and drugs with special monitoring requirements such as methotrexate and other immunosuppresents e.g. biologics, isotretinoin.
- Adverse reactions to drug treatments for skin disease including drug eruptions and drug induced skin disease.
- Legal, ethical, professional and organization policies / procedures / guidelines and codes of conduct relevent to interventions used to treat skin conditions.
Who Should Attend?: This course will be of interest to GPs, GPwSI’s, GP Registrars, FY1-2/ GP ST 1- 3’s, Dermatology, Tissue Viability Specialist Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Practice Nurses and Hospital and Retail Pharmacists.
Dates: October 20th, 21st & 22nd, November 25th & 26th 2010 and January 20th 2011
Application: To apply please contact Madeleine Flanagan, Email: [email protected], Telephone: 01707 286400
Fees: Home fee status £800, Overseas fee status £1500
Venue: College Lane Campus, Hatfield