This course has been developed for those practitioners who wish to develop and consolidate their skills in minor skin surgery. It has been developed in response to Department of Health requirements that include supervised practice and formal assessment of competency (DH 2007). Students will be required to identify a suitable practice supervisor who must be a registered practitioner who has relevant experience and skills in minor skin surgery.
This course may be studied on an assessed or non-assessed basis. You may also choose to study it as part of a longer academic award such as; MSc Dermatology Skills and Treatment, Postgraduate Diploma or Postgraduate Certificate. Please contact Madeleine Flanagan for further details.
Content: The course focuses on acquisition of minor surgery practical skills and the context of service delivery.
· Patient assessment & treatment options
· Skin preparation, local anaesthesia, haemostasis
· Surgical anatomical hazards
· Surgical procedures: curettage, shave / ellipse excision, punch biopsy
· Histology: specimens, diagnosis
· Wound closure and aftercare
· Medico-legal and other professional issues.
Dates: September 28th, 29th, 30th 2010, January 12th 2011, March 24th 2011
Application: To apply please contact Madeleine Flanagan, Email: [email protected], Telephone: 01707 286400
Fees: Home fee status £900, Overseas fee status £1500
Venue: College Lane Campus