Safeguarding adults and children is a fundamental part of patient safety and wellbeing and is integral to compliance with legislation, regulations and delivering cost effective care within the healthcare system. In collaboration with some of the world's leading experts, this e-learning programme addresses the role of dental professionals, other healthcare professionals, and carers in safeguarding the welfare of vulnerable adults.
This programme covers two main areas:
Vulnerability and Signs of Abuse
- Raise awareness of the nature and scope of ‘vulnerability’ in the context of healthcare
- Enable dentists and DCPs to:
- recognise and identify a person who may be a victim of neglect or abuse (including behavioural indicators)
- identify and recognise the clinical maxillofacial and oral signs of neglect or abuse
- know what to do about it (whistleblowing/reporting).
Oral Health Care
- Explain and illustrate the physical and social impact of poor oral health
- Highlight the diverse and sometimes obscure reasons for specific oral health problems
- Enable dentists and DCPs to provide oral health education to carers, ancillary workers, family and friends, including practical help, support and guidance on oral health routines (general and specific).