Latest ABC Awards centre report for this qualification : "Outstanding"
The ABC Awards Certificate for Animal Nursing Assistants is a level 2 qualifcation regulated by Ofqual. It is aimed at learners of age 16+. The qualification has been developed for learners seeking a specialised qualification in animal nursing, with the overall aim being to prepare learners for a career in animal care or Veterinary Nursing, based within a Veterinary Practice. The Level 2 Certificate for Animal Nursing Assistants is held in high regard in veterinary practices, providing an alternative route to GCSE’s and enhanced opportunities to progress to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing. No qualifications such as GCSEs needed to enrol on this course.
The Award can be used to demonstrate CPD and support veterinary practices in their progress toward the RCVS Practice Standards Scheme
This qualification is designed for
Anyone without formal qualifications and
School leavers with insufficient GCSEs to register as a student veterinary nurse
Non-qualified veterinary staff
Learners wishing to work with companion animals
The course has ten units, each of which have level 2 credits. You need to achieve 32 credits for the certificate qualification:
1. Deliver basic treatments to animals (mandatory unit) 5 credits
2. Maintain animal accommodation (mandatory unit) 3 credits
3. Provide feed and water to animals (mandatory unit) 3 credits
4. Principles of infection control for animal nursing assistants (mandatory unit) 3 credits
5. Companion animal anatomy and physiology (mandatory unit) 5 credits
6. Principles of basic animal nursing assistance 4 credits
7. Exotic animal anatomy and physiology 4 credits
8. Companion animal parasitology and zoonosis 4 credits
9. Carry out reception duties 2 credits
10. Principles of companion animal anaesthesia and fluid therapy 2 credits
The certificate course should take about 12 months to complete but to accommodate self-paced learning, we allow 24 months. Additional time can be given over the 24 months. Fee £795.00. Instalment plans available and textbook included.