1. Course Overview
This one-day workshop-based course has been designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to swaps. The course makes use of Bloomberg™ and spreadsheets to value swaps instruments and analyse swap scenarios.
2. Who will gain from the course
This course will appeal to a wide audience including accountants, portfolio managers, bank internal auditors, IT specialists and compliance staff wishing to develop an insight into swap markets and the uses to which these instruments can be put.
3. Prerequisite Knowledge Required
Intermediate knowledge of financial instruments financial markets, and familiarity with spreadsheets.
4. Structure of the Course
Topics to be covered include:
- The way in which bond markets, money markets and futures markets combine to provide 'fair' valuation of interest rate swaps
- The rationale behind the use of swaps (credit arbitrage, exploiting interest rate views)
- Swap mechanics
- Interest Rates Swaps and Asset/Liability Management
- Determining LIBOR/Swaps Zero Rates
- Pricing Interest Rates Swaps
- An Introduction to Managing a Portfolio of Swaps
- An Introduction to Commodity Swaps
5. Course Delivery
Teaching will take place in dedicated seminar rooms, IT labs and the Bloomberg™ Research and Trading Room. Courses will normally be delivered to small groups of up to 15 participants to facilitate learning.
By the end of the course, participants will have a thorough understanding of the structure of the swap market, the way interest rate swaps are priced, and the way swap dealers manage portfolios of swaps.
7. VenueLondon Financial Academy,
London Metropolitan University,
84 Moorgate, London EC2M 6SQ