Correct sizing of pipeline and risers is fundamental ensuring trouble free operation of any oil and gas production systems. This course introduces a systematic approach to the design of multiphase transportation systems and the interaction between the upstream reservoir and the downstream processing plant.
Course Objectives; on successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough analytical understanding of multiphase flows.
- Have a comprehensive knowledge of software tools and critical awareness of their limitations.
- Competently design multiphase transportation pipelines for oil/gas and gas/condensate duties under steady state and transient operating conditions.
- Interface with other oil/gas or related industry disciplines in a design or operating environment.
- Multiphase Flow Fundamentals: Introduction to multiphase flow principles, flow regimes, pressure/ temperature prediction and pipeline sizing.
- Phase Behaviour and Physical Properties: Black oil and compositional phase behaviour and PVT prediction software.
- Steady State Multiphase flow: Introduction to steady state multiphase flow design software tools for reservoirs, wells, flowlines and risers, network and nodal analysis. Oil/gas and gas/condensate pipeline design. Design for slugging flows. Solids transportation. Design for heavy oil transport.
- Design of Offshore and Onshore Pipelines: Pipeline sizing, installation, thermal insulation and corrosion protection.
- Subsea Production Systems: Subsea production system architecture, trees, manifolds, pigging, metering, separation and boosting systems.
- Transient Multiphase Flow design: Transient design software. Pipeline inventory management and slug catcher sizing. Integration with process plant operations. Transient thermal analysis, warm-up, cooldown, pipeline depressurisation and displacement.
The course will consist of lectures supported by videos, case studies as well as software demonstrations and laboratory sessions. The largest three phase facilities in UK universities will be used for laboratory demonstrations of slug control, multiphase flows, solids transport and measurement. All delegates will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course.
Who should attend?
The course will be of particular interest to engineers in oil and gas exploration, production and operating companies, consultants, contractors, service providers and equipment suppliers involve in design and operation. Researchers who need to understand the background and application of their research. Managers who want to understand the technical issues to aid decision making.
*PLEASE NOTE: Course dates provided are provisional and may change. Definitive dates will be provided upon registration.