Drugs used in the treatment of cancer are discussed in typical therapeutic scenarios. The students are also introduced to some basic principles of pharmacology.
• Understand the clinical context of chemotherapy in relation to other treatment modalities
• Recognise the influence of cellular and systemic pharmacology on drug action.
• Understand the mechanisms of action of the major chemotherapeutic agents
• Evaluate the development of chemotherapeutic agents and their present and future potential
• Analyse advances in novel approaches to cancer treatment
• Recognise the toxicities and morbidity produced by chemotherapeutic/endocrine and biological treatments, and their relationship to pharmacology.
• Evaluate the introduction of new agents
Basic principles of Pharmacology
Chemotherapeutic agents in their therapeutic context
Principles of drug resistance
Chemotherapeutic agents in the context of their mechanisms of action.