Three full days
Consultants, local and central government officers, researchers, and other transport professionals
University of Leeds, Leeds, LS29JT, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
TRANSPORT INVESTMENT APPRAISAL
This 3-day course equips participants with skills to undertake transport investment appraisal.
Starting from the principles of cost-benefit analysis and financial appraisal, the course covers the key methods and techniques, and includes worked examples and case studies from road and rail, as well as multi-modal packages. Recent technical developments and appraisal issues are also covered. It is suitable for those who are new to the field and for more experienced professionals seeking to refresh their knowledge.
• Principles of project appraisal; financial appraisal and cost-benefit analysis
• Capital budgeting. Acceptance tests, choice between alternatives, capital rationing,
• Financing transport projects; the effects of alternative financing media in appraisal;
purchase and lease finance
• Valuation of costs and benefits (1); willingness to pay methods (RP & SP); valuation of travel time benefits
• Valuation of costs and benefits (2); applications to safety and environmental impacts
• Allowing for risk and uncertainty in transport appraisal
• Frameworks; multi-criteria analysis; the New Approach to Appraisal; WebTAG; the NATA Refresh;
• Road project appraisal case study
• Public transport project appraisal; commercial rail projects
• Public transport projects; social appraisal and the DfT guidelines
• Development and regeneration benefits
The course benefits from the considerable expertise of research-active staff and draws upon ITS’ experience of advising the Department for Transport (DfT) and other prominent organisations. The course also provides the option, with additional attendance, of accruing credits towards a Masters degree in Transport Planning. It can also be delivered as bespoke or in-company training on a date and at a location chosen by the client organisation.
The course will be held in ITS training facilities at the University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT. The fee includes learning materials, lunch and refreshments during the course, but not overnight accommodation (details of local hotels are available on request).
For further details please visit the ITS website or for an informal discussion about the course, its content and relevance to your work please contact Dr John Nellthorp, Course Leader, by telephone on 0113 343 6613 or by email to: [email protected]