Post-Qualifying CPD / Degree Module
The Non Medical Prescribing programme aims to prepare nurses and midwives to prescribe safely, appropriately and cost-effectively as independent and supplementary prescribers and for podiatrists, physiotherapists and radiographers to prescribe safely, effectively and competently as supplementary prescribers.
The multi-disciplinary module will reflect the philosophy, values, skills and knowledge base as articulated in the curriculum guidance for each profession.
All entrants to this programme must meet the following requirements:
- Valid registration on their Professional register maintained by the NMC or HPC
- A minimum of three years post registration experience relevant to the practice in which they will be prescribing
- To demonstrate an ability to study at degree level (academic SCQF level 9).
- Provide written confirmation from a designated medical prescriber who meets the eligibility criteria described by the National Prescribing Centre (2005) who will provide the opportunities to develop competencies in prescribing during the required term of supervised practice
In addition, a written statement from the employer is required to confirm that:
- The appropriate clinical governance systems are in place and the applicant has had an enhanced disclosure check completed
- The applicant has been assessed as competent, or is undertaking a training programme, to take a history, undertake clinical assessment and diagnosis before being put forward.
- There is a clinical need within the applicants role to justify prescribing
Module Availability & Duration: This module starts each Spring and Autumn semester
Module Credit: 44 SCQF credits, Level 9Module Cost: (subject to increase for academic year 2010 / 2011)As part of a BSc in Professional Practice £620.00As a stand - alone module £820.00
If you do not have a prior degree but are a registered Nurse, Midwife or Allied Health Professional with current registration, please contact us to discuss which degree programme of study would best suit you.