This Degree Module for can be taken as free standing or integrated into a programme of study
The module is suitable for Registered Nurses, doctors and AHPs such as pharmacists and podiatrists who wish to advance their clinical knowledge in tissue viability.
The module aims to:
- further develop reflective practitioners who will be enabled to assess, diagnose and plan care for patients with wounds.
- enable practitioners to identify risk related to skin integrity and to develop and promote appropriate prevention strategies for skin breakdown.
- facilitate development of practitioners who may independently search for, identify, critique, and use information related to their tissue viability related practice.
The module is divided into six theoretical learning units, which the student may work through at their own pace:
- Skin and Wound Healing
- Wound Assessment
The wound healing continuum; assessment, measurement and documentation
- Wound Infection
Diagnosis and investigations; infection and colonisation; wound cleansing; use of antimicrobials
- Principles of Managing Wounds
Exudate, pain, devitalised tissue, odour, hypergranulation, debridement
- Managing Complex Wounds
Leg ulcers, pressure ulcers, malignant wounds
- Wound Products i.e. dressings, Topical Negative Pressure (TNP), larvae therapy
Module Availability & Duration: This module is offered twice a year in Spring and Autumn and is approximately 15 weeks in duration
Module Credit: 22 SCQF credits, Level 9Module Cost: (subject to increase for academic year 2010 / 2011)As part of a BSc in Professional Practice £300.00As a stand - alone module £360.00
For additional information or to apply please visit our webpage: http://www.nm.stir.ac.uk
If you do not have a prior degree but are a registered health professional with current registration, please contact us to discuss our degree programmes available to you.