This course will enable students to identify, understand and set out the mechanism and mechanical design requirements for products and, in particular, actuators.
At the end of this module students should be able to:
· Understand the meaning and significance of factors which determine the performance and stability of machine systems
· Be able to set out the scheme design of a machine / system which incorporates principles derived from this understanding
· Be able to recognise and analyse significant detailed features of the machine system
· Understand the principles of actuators
· Select appropriate actuators
· Appreciate current advances in actuator technology
Principles of precision location and guidance of moving parts, design with flexural elements, bearing and seal design, motion path analysis, robot arm geometry, robot arm kinematics and load analysis. Actuator operating principles, types, selection and actuator developments.
Students should have knowledge of mathematical tools used in the analysis of structures including matrix methods. Students should also have some basic understanding of elasticity, fluids (compressability)