This innovative module enables clinicians to consolidate and develop specialist skills in professional, contemporary skin and wound management practice. It will enable students to analyse concepts of advanced practice in relation to their own clinical setting and raise awareness of the importance of maintaining skin integrity in vulnerable patients. It is usually delivered at a major European Wound Management Conference using the University Conference Model which uses key sessions from the conference scientific programme supplemented by a combination of lectures / discussions and blended learning using the internet.
Content: Students will study a selection of topics such as:
- Physiology of skin breakdown; external, internal risk factors, including delayed wound healing.
- Chronic wound pathophysiology: e.g. leg ulceration, pressure ulceration, oncology wounds etc.
- Prevalence and incidence of skin damage. National/International clinical guidelines / protocols & targets.
- Skin and wound assessment: differential diagnosis, patient factors, lifestyle factors, wound measurement, investigations, wound bed preparation.
- Patient centred management, documentation & outcome monitoring. Use of evidence based practice/clinical guidelines.
- Advances in therapeutic interventions and technologies.
- Referral criteria for specialist assessment e.g. dermatology, vascular surgery. Interdisciplinary team working.
- International models of service delivery. Integrated hospital and community care. Ethical consideration and clinical governance
Who Should Attend?:This course will be of interest to GPs, GPwSI’s, GP Registrars, FY1-2/ GP ST 1- 3’s, Dermatology, Tissue Viability Specialist Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Practice Nurses and Podiatrists.
Dates: Usually offered at the European Wound Management Association (EWMA) Conference. Late May. For dates of next conference and venue visit http://www.ewma.org.
Application: To apply please contact Madeleine Flanagan, Email: [email protected], Telephone: 01707 286400
Fees: Home fee status £660, Overseas fee status £1500
Venue: College Lane Campus