Study our Personal Professional Development courses in Public Health and Primary Care.
- Develop new or existing skills and knowledge in various areas of public health and primary care if you are a health professional.
- Fit your learning around other commitments through our online courses.
- Take individual units as standalone Personal Professional Development (Public Health and Primary Care) courses or choose multiple units to build credits for a PGCert, PGDip or master's qualification.
- Study at a university ranked 6 th in the UK, 8 th in Europe and 27 th in the world (QS World University Rankings 2020).
This course unit is for students who want to explore how to get the best from a system for providing oral healthcare - both treatment and prevention. It is about putting into action our plans for a service.
We aim to enable the student to understand the systems within which dental services are planned and delivered, to identify the opportunities for improvement and to anticipate and address the barriers to change.
Throughout, there is an emphasis on preventing oral health problems and on reducing inequalities. It is not assumed that students have taken any other course units prior to starting this unit.
- Introduction to dental services – aims, methods of addressing oral health problems, models of delivery.
- Systems for financing and remuneration and impact on delivery of dental care.
- Quality in dental care systems – how it may be defined, assessed and achieved.
- Planning services for population needs at system and local level.
- Planning workforce to match population needs.
- How dental care systems may be changed.
- How dental care may be delivered for groups with additional needs and those who are hard to reach.
- How oral health problems may be prevented at practice and population level.
- The role and impact of regulations and legislation in dental health care systems.
- Methods to ensure appropriate service delivery.
Teaching begins on 7th February 2022. Full details can be seen on our website: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/03229/personal-professional-development-public-health-and-primary-care/course-details/POPH76072#course-unit-details