Developing Numeracy Skills in Learners with Dyslexia and Dyscalculia (DACPD99).
This short course unit examines the processes involved in mathematical thinking and how they link to aspects of memory and attention. The difficulties that learners with dyslexia and co-occurring difficulties can have with numeracy are explained. The association of ‘number sense’ (numerosity) with dyscalculia is also examined. The unit explores theory, offers some practical ideas and provides the practitioner with the fresh perspective necessary to effectively use structured, cumulative, multisensory teaching to promote numeracy development in learners where it is stalled or significantly delayed.
Learning Outcomes - On completion, participants will be able to:
- Identify the cognitive attributes necessary for the development of numeracy skills
- Identify the difficulties that learners with dyslexia may experience when developing numeracy skills
- Discuss the importance of relational understanding in mathematical development
- Identify the difficulties that learners with dyscalculia may experience when developing numeracy skills
- Be able to apply the principles of structured, cumulative, sequential, multisensory learning when teaching numeracy.
These specialist e-learning courses are designed to strengthen the expertise and confidence of teachers, teaching assistants and support tutors in order to ensure the progress and achievement of children or adults with Dyslexia / SpLD. The courses aim to raise awareness of specific learning difficulties, improve the school and classroom environment and change teaching approaches. This will help teachers and teaching assistants to develop inclusive practice and strategic approaches to meet the needs of individual learners.
Our online courses provide flexibility for learning in a personalised way which enables studying to be fitted around personal and professional commitments.
Our online CPD courses are accredited by the CPD Standards Office and provide flexibility for learning in a personalised way which enables studying to be fitted around personal and professional commitments.
For further details, to download a brochure or to book this course please click here
© Dyslexia Action is a trading name of Real Group Ltd, Company No 06556128, VAT Reg No 837306132
Registered Office: Insight House, Riverside Business Park, Stoney Common Road, Essex, CM24 8PL.