This module is designed to enhance and develop specialist knowledge related to ambulatory care of children and young people.
It covers topics including:
- Concept of ambulatory care to prevent and reduce hospitalisation and readmission to hospital
- Purpose and function of clinical assessment and observation units
- National and local policy drivers for ambulatory care, relevant ethical, legal and cultural issues
- Out of hours services, protocols and care guidelines/ pathways, telemedicine including IV antibiotics in the community
- Elective day case procedures, investigations including liaison with community adult & children's services
- Specialist nursing roles
Core content will provide students with the opportunity to acquire and critique skills and knowledge related to the clinical assessment and care of the child/young person in ambulatory care settings.
Bradford has a diverse population with a higher population of children and young people than the national average. There is also a higher than average concentration of young people with complex health needs necessitating long term care which may be provided in a variety of care settings.