This course is for healthcare practitioners who want to develop an understanding of cardiac disease, guidelines for prevention of cardiovascular disease, and care of patients with coronary disease.
This module is aimed at nurses and other healthcare practitioners working in wards, clinics, or GP practices. You will not be a specialist in cardiac care but have a desire to learn more about cardiac disease and its management.
This module will promote sound and detailed knowledge and acquisition of competencies to administer cytotoxic chemotherapy and biotherapy safely. It will look at supporting your development and your ability to maintain safe and effective practice, as well as providing holistic care to patients receiving these treatments in your area of practice.
The module will cover:
- chemotherapy as a treatment modality, the cell cycle, cytotoxic drug classification, chemotherapy protocols and their application in practice, use of drug regimens
- the patient's cytotoxic journey and holistic care
- preparing the patient for chemotherapy administration, informed consent, information needs
- patient investigations
- patient choice and autonomy
- storage, equipment selection and operation and correct administration, routes of administration, use of peripheral and central access devices in chemotherapy administration
- health and safety issues
- the management and prevention of complications
- clinical research and the application in practice
- ethical and legal issues
- psychological care and cultural diversity.