Credits: 30 credits at Level 6
This 30 credit Level 6 module will provide you with the knowledge to recognise the physical health needs of people who have a mental illness.
The content of the module has an emphasis on skills development to ensure that you internalise fundamental key skills in assessing, monitoring and treating physical health related issues.
Advocacy and person centred care in relation to physical illness, for people with a mental health disorder, will also be included.
The content for this course falls into broad categories such as:
- patho-physiology associated with common physical health conditions
- interpretation of blood results
- poly-pharmacy and drug interactions specific to mental health
- assessment of vital signs and physiological measurements, BMI, skin and urinalysis etc
- health promotion
- relationship between physical illness and treatment of mental health disorders
- skills in managing patients who require treatment for: diabetes, nutritional and hydration
- complications, wound care, hearing and visual difficulties and cognitive disorders
- personal choice and autonomy.