Introduction to this course
The aim of this module is to provide an integrated overview of the consequences of abnormalities in erythrocyte structure, for both haematology and transfusion science, and to outline the critical parameters for the therapeutic use of red cells.
Topics covered in this course
- The production, synthesis, structure and function of normal red blood cells;
- Disorders of haem synthesis to include haemoglobinopathies and porphyrias, their pathophysiology, identification and quantitation;
- Red cell enzyme pathways and enzyme deficiencies and their physiological effect;
- The regulatory pathways involved in haemotinics, absorption, transport and metabolic function (including Iron, B12 and Folate) and consequent disease states that may arise due to a deficiency or abnormal regulatory pathways;
- Blood group antigens, their structure, function and genetics;
- Red cell blood products, their preparation, storage and use;
- The storage lesion in red cells.
Cost of this Course
The cost of this short course is €435.