This online learning programme provides an interdisciplinary approach to conservation management.
It draws together expertise from within the University of Edinburgh's Global Health Academy and partner global associates, to deliver first class teaching and research in the field of Biodiversity, Wildlife and Ecosystem Health.
You will assess all aspects of ecosystems, aiming to conserve and maintain their sustainability in both the developing and developed world.
This programme is affiliated with the University's Global Academies.
The programme is delivered using innovative online learning. It involves a mixed teaching approach that includes independent study and reflection, as well as online discussion and group project work.
Year 1: certificate
You study the following areas:
- Evolution and Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Health and Sustainability
- Ecosystems and Governance
- Conservation Ethics
Year 2: diploma
You choose six elective courses from the following:
- Climate Change, Policy and Practice
- Communication and Public Engagement of Conservation
- Conservation Genetics
- Environmental Law
- Ex-situ Wildlife Management
- Extreme and Fragile Ecosystems
- An introduction to transboundary diseases
- Introduction to GIS and spatial data analysis
- Invasive Non-Native Species
- Land Use and Food Security
- Managing Ecosystems for Human Health and Wellbeing
- The Marine Environment
- The Modern Zoo
- The Use of Artificial Reproduction Technologies in Threatened Species
- Water and Sanitation
- Wildlife Crime and Forensic Investigation
- Wildlife, animal Health and environment
- Wildlife Tourism
- Zoonotic Disease
Elective courses are subject to minimum student numbers and timetabling restrictions.
Year 3: masters
You complete your own choice of dissertation of 10,000-15,000 words.
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a zoological, biological, environmental, veterinary or a relevant bio-science topic.
We may also consider your application if you have relevant work experience; please contact us to check before you apply. You may be admitted to certificate level only in the first instance.
Please visit our programme website for the most up to date fees.