Theraplay workshops are intensive, active and rewarding. The number of participants is limited so that each person can receive the special attention that makes for a good training experience. There are opportunities to:
- Observe the live treatment of a family, including the assessment via the Marschak Interaction Method, feedback to the parents, and several Theraplay sessions
- Watch videotapes of treatment with a variety of clients
- Practice the use of Theraplay techniques
- Plan how each participant can use Theraplay with their clients at home
Completion of the Theraplay/MIM training is the first step in the Theraplay® Therapist certification process.
Learning objectives for "Introductory Theraplay & MIM" include:
- Knowledge of how to administer the Marschak Interaction Method (MIM) including methods of recording non-verbal and verbal behaviours, making inferences and formulating hypotheses;
- Knowledge of how a MIM report is organised;
- Knowledge of how a feedback session is conducted;
- Knowledge of how the MIM is used as a guideline for planning treatment;
- Understanding of the history and theory of Theraplay;
- Increased knowledge in the interactional basis of parent-infant attachment and self-esteem.
- Skill development in the differentiation and use of the 4 Theraplay dimensions;
- Knowledge of how Theraplay is used to meet the needs of children with behavior problems, foster and adopted children, autistic children, adolescents, and traumatised children;
- Knowledge of how parents are guided to empathically observe and participate in Theraplay sessions aimed at fostering better parent-child attachment.
10. Skill development in group work.
Theraplay® is short term play therapy for children and their caregivers with the goals of enhancing adult-child relationships and resolving behavioral problems, such as: excessive tantrums, anger, hitting, biting, clinginess, fearfulness; controlling behaviours; self-harming behaviour; and attachment disturbances. The Marschak Interaction Method (MIM) is an observationally based assessment method used to evaluate parent-child relationships.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The 5-day Training is a training workshop for professionals and practitioners including, LSA’s, learning mentors, teachers, social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors, family therapists, educational psychologists, play therapists, psychiatric nurses, occupational therapists, and early childhood & developmental specialists. Looking for training in child/family counselling and attachment therapy.
Please note: The Theraplay Institute requires you to read Third Edition of THERAPLAY. (Ann M. Jernberg, Phyllis B. Booth, available on-line at amazon.uk.)
Chapters 1,2 and 4 prior to the training.